An SSL Certificate, also abbreviated as Secure Socket Layer, is a digital certificate which authenticates the identity of a Website. It also encrypts the information before sending it to the server. An SSL Certificate acts as an online digital passport that contains the credentials of the online business. When an Internet user tries to send confidential information over the internet to the server, the users browser accesses the server’s digital certificate and establishes a secure connection
How to purchase a ssl certificate.
1) create a CSR and private key for your domain
2) contact the ssl providers like www.verisign.com or www.thawte.com with this CSR and purchase ssl certificate. There are different types of ssl certs like secure server, extended valid etc. For multiple domains you can use wild card ssl certificates and this can be used with all the domains under *.adminlogs.info .
3) You need to install the purchased SSL certificate in your webserver
For generating CSR and Key refer : SSL commands
$ Configure ssl for Apache
You should use a dedicated IP to configure ssl for your domain.
Adjust the file names to match your certificate files:
* SSLCertificateFile should be your purchased certificate file .
* SSLCertificateKeyFile should be the key file generated when you created the CSR.
* SSLCertificateChainFile should be the intermediate certificate file provided by the SSL provider
If the SSLCertificateChainFile directive does not work, try using the SSLCACertificateFile directive instead.
$ restart apache
Configure ssl for Resin web server
ssl key file location is : /usr/local/resin/keys/
$ vi /usr/local/resin/resin.conf
<server id=”www.adminlogs” address=”192.168.0.10″>
<http id=”www.adminlogs” address=”192.168.0.10″ port=”8080″/>
<http id=”www.adminlogs” address=”192.168.0.10″ port=”8443″>
<protocol>-ALL +SSLv3 +TLSv1</protocol>
Protocol & cipher-suite directives here used for disable sslv2 weak cipher suites.
$ restart resin
How to verify the installation
You can check your ssl installation using the following url